Friday, October 26, 2007

Half the Sky

After my parents divorced when I was six, and my mother's lover wouldn't divorce his wife, my mother took to hating men. She walked into a women's bookstore down the street called Half the Sky and found where she belonged, surrounded by the strongest women she'd ever known: intellectuals, writers, artists, sculptors, musicians, all with radical feminist views for the 1980s. My mother became the token hetero in this group and my brother and I became their children. I remember later in life telling people that I wasn't just raised by my mother, I was raised by a pack of lesbians.

1 comment:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Hello. I have found your blog. I think it may be one of the most honest blogs I have read in a long, long time.

I think being raised by a pack of lesbians doesn't sound so bad.

PS I hope you get your stuff and I also hope that your prosperity necklace is filled with magic.