Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Though they are now 20 months old, they had their 18 month checkup yesterday. A little late, I know, but what can you expect with a healthcare system short of doctors? The offices are maxed out. The only reason we didn't have to wait until January was because one of the doctors came out of retirement to give the office a hand. He was an older man in his seventies probably, the doctor that originally started this pediatric clinic. He handled the boys like a pro, through their fear and panic, as his cracked hands moved them this way and that, checking their reflexes, belly, balls, throats, eyes, ears. And the ears...

Alexandre and Jacob both have ear infections and I once again have felt like the bad mother, having waited too long to go to the doctor. I waited so long that Alexandre has the worst kind he can have, I'm told, since I couldn't quite understand the French word he used. Sounded like oozing, so that's what I imagine. This explains his wake ups in the middle of the night and his horrible mood over the last week. He screamed bloody murder all the way home from daycare on Monday, throwing his grapes into the front seat and kicking his arms and legs violently while strapped into his car seat. I took it to mean that he was just letting off steam like he so often does when he sees his mommy. They are prone to usual fits when I pick them up. Eruptions of frustration. It's like they've been holding everything in at daycare and use me as the release.

For the record, Jacob is now taller, heavier, and has a bigger head than Alexandre. For starting out in the world at just over 4 lbs, that's quite an accomplishment. He weighed in at 28.83 lbs and 32.87 in tall.

No comments: